Saturday 4 September 2010

Welcome to Hungary



Here we are in Budapest, the wise and silent grandfather which happens to be one of the most beautiful cities in Europe. It was a long day with breakfast in the sunny Copenhagen, followed by lunch in the rainy Berlin and dinner in the cloudy Budapest to wrap up the day. Our new old apartment is so charming and it's a great location. It's a quiet neighbourhood but 5 minutes down the road, the city bursts into colours and people.

Eid is in a week and we're still looking for any celebration to gatecrash. Unlike Nice last year where we got to know a lot of fellow Malaysian students, there's absolutely no sign of them here. But you know what, I think it would be interesting to celebrate with other Muslim communities, if we can find one that is!

Hubby got a job as design engineer in a really good company in Nuremberg, Germany. I'm glowing with pride! When he decided to join me in Europe last year, he planned to have two gap years but when he saw that job opening, he couldn't resist trying his luck. So now when he actually got it, he's having second thoughts because taking the job means leaving me alone in Hungary and wherever I end up this January and the reason why he put his career on hold in the first place was to support me and enjoy the same path. Honestly, I just want him to be happy. People (especially Asian) tend to think that it's all about work, work and more work and get more money that never seems to be enough. We're more about experiencing the present (with calculated risks of course). Whatever he decides, I remain his greatest cheerleader.

As for now, he'll be joining me with my optional Hungarian language course in the university. We literally spent about 45 minutes sketching on papers and demonstrating sign language to get a mobile broadband which was exhausting but a fun experience nevertheless. It's silly to blame the people for not learning English when we are just visitors in their land so the least we can do is to learn their language and culture. I love languages, I can speak decent French but it was a bit hard to pick up Danish when everyone can speak fluent English there. I have at least four months here and the locals don't speak much English so hopefully I'll be able to speak some Hungarian by end of our stay. And oh, I must admit I had predefined notions of the Romanian because of the gypsies (one even stuck out her tongue when Rafiee refused to give her money) but we have a Romanian repairman here and he's such a nice lad that I feel ashamed of myself. C'est la vie eh.

No comments:

Post a Comment