Saturday 28 August 2010

When Life Gives You Lemons....

....you don't have to make lemonade like others do. You can get some flour and eggs and bake a lemon cake!


One year, three houses and nine countries later, it is time to pack the bag and move again. This time, I'm not going to lie in bed and stare at the ceiling like I used to on the night before leaving anywhere, feeling gloomy for having to leave my comfort zone behind and nervous about the unknown road ahead. In fact, I'm actually very excited and it has nothing to do with either Denmark or Hungary. Denmark has been wonderful and no wonder it is the world's happiest country. The people are so warm and welcoming, and their culture is something I would bring home. Hungary is a hidden gem, a beautiful, old country. I imagine the feeling is like meeting the wise, silent grandfather after being acquainted with the vibrant, popular grandchildren; France and England (Denmark would be the father in this metaphor). The thing is, I'm getting weary of having to make and lose new friends and pack and unpack the faded suitcase. I appreciate the journey and understand routines are not that fun anyway but right now I feel like I want to stay and work on something for a little more than six months and next semester which happens to be my final semester of lectures, shall bring me closer to that.

We've been having so much fun and freedom as a couple that it almost feels like we're both still bachelor and bachelorette dating and goofing around. I will definitely miss that when we have to finally settle down somewhere (yes, we still don't know where we're going to be not only after the program but even this January!) and perhaps with our bundle of joy (we won't name him / her any of those modern, long / meaningless names). And then it will be the perfect time for us. We would've had our own time together (you know that travelling together is the best way to know one's true colours and I love his!) before taking the plunge to be adults and responsible for another human being for the rest of our lives.

It is a blessing in disguise, going abroad independently. One of the main purposes of pursuing your study overseas is to experience a new way of life and learn things that you couldn't in your hometown, basically to broaden your horizon. And how can you embrace those elements if you keep hanging out with the same group of people, eat the same food, read the same materials and do everything else just the same as you would back home? I'd say we have been making a lot of exploration on our own and I'm so proud of us.

I guess what I'm trying to get across is, I am thankful for this atypical path God gives us. Having a great husband helps too!

No comments:

Post a Comment