Monday 1 March 2010

Yet Another Crossroads


So here's my blueprint for this summer:

Option 1:
Go back to Malaysia and see the jovial faces of our families and friends. At the same time I can use the time to prepare for my PhD application. Did you know that National University Singapore is one of the world's high-ranking universities? I checked and even some of the Ivy League universities lost to NUS. Ahaa...

Option 2:
Europe is a huge catalogue and we can choose the cheapest place to stay over the summer. Probably some countryside (I'd love that!) and maybe do some gardening, self-discovery and all that jazz. Of course, studying for GRE and writing research proposal in the balcony overlooking the meadow and goats. Isn't that simply beautiful?

Optiuon 3:
Thanks to this program, I'm able to intern in either Switzerland, Argentina, India or Singapore which sounds all glorious But (with a capital B) it's unpaid because I'm a scholarship holder and somehow they feel that I'm well-off enough to work for free. Well actually, I do think working to improve the sanitation system in India is a great opportunity to help the unfortunate and discover a thing or two (and this has little to do with the AirAsia's India promotion).

And I have exactly two months to decide where to go for the third semester:

Option 1: Germany - Software Engineering and Modelling

Option 2: Hungary - Inland Water Management

Option 3: Spain - Decision Support Systems

Option 4: France - Urban Water Management

It's hard to make a choice when you're desperately wanting it to be the right one but I guess there is never one exact way and that's the beauty of life!

The Road Less Traveled by Robert Frost

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveller, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth

Then took the other, as just as fair
And having perhaps the better claim
Because it was grassy and wanted wear
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way
I doubted if I should ever come back

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference

2 comments:

  1. of course NUS one of the tops. but come again, it is all about how people would react to some known and famous fact, such as ivy leagues are among the bests. it's in the us of a, and it makes sense that everything is frickin good there. how choosy people can be.

    have you ticked cambridge, or ucl or any other top unis in the uk?

    oohh maybe go for northwestern. i love how it sounds :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i always knew that nus was sort of elite but ingatkan kat region asia ni jela. but you're right, perception orang la america itu bagus. don't think i'm applying anywhere kat europe dah pasni so either the states or nus laaa,hee!

    ReplyDelete