Friday 30 April 2010

Dream that is Real

I need to thank my thoughtful hubby for coming with me in this 2-year European journey. I assure you, he’s not pointing a knife at my throat.

Looking at his face, contented with reading, exploring and attending various lessons got me thinking how lucky I am to have him. He was doing so well in his career when he quit his job last August. There were talks about him being promoted to Project Manager and he was always thriving to be the best highway engineer as he possibly could. But he put his career on hold, with less hesitation than I had expected; just to provide me his undivided support. I don’t have to worry about him, somehow he just finds a way. He helped a new Irish friend setting up a bookstore in France last term and since we got here in England, he has been going to classes he had found through advertisements and word-of-mouth in the city everyday except for the weekend. He even got himself a volunteering stint. This guy impressed me! I owe him but he never makes me feel like it. Sometimes we do get tempted to join the rat race but immediately we are reminded how exceptional everything now is. One can keep working to aim for the dream house, the coolest ride in town and of course more money but they will never be enough. There are always more things to have and next thing you know, your kids are all grown up, joining the same ol’ rat race and you’re too tired to see what the world has to offer. We’re taking two gap years. Two years that are teaching us both what matters most and everything in between. We would really miss this whole episode in years to come. Come to think about it, this is just two years out of like what, 30 years of endless working? People can work for more than that and not realize how time is waving them goodbye right under their nose. But we shall remember this. It’s only the beginning honey. We’re young, grateful and full of drive. Promise me that we'll remain adventurous and spontaneous even when we're both old and feeling grey.



I was a little girl alone in my little world who dreamed of a little home for me.
I played pretend between the trees, and fed my houseguests bark and leaves, and laughed in my pretty bed of green.

I had a dream
That I could fly from the highest swing
I had a dream.

Long walks in the dark through woods grown behind the park, I asked God who I'm supposed to be.
The stars smiled down on me, God answered in silent reverie, I said a prayer and fell asleep.

I had a dream
That I could fly from the highest tree
I had a dream.

Now I'm old and feeling grey, I don't know what's left to say about this life I'm willing to leave.
I lived it full and I lived it well, there's many tales I've lived to tell.
I'm ready now, I'm ready now, I'm ready now to fly from the highest wing.

I had a dream

2 comments:

  1. Izni, tell me love, how would I not to drench in tears when I read this, so heart felt it leaves me wondering the years I had been with Piee, through ups and downs. Well, not that much of ups and downs, except when he was contemplating to make a move, trying to pace up his game plan before playing the hook and reel game to catch you up. That's a different story by the way.

    He reads a lot. I recall back the uni years when he had a few little books on his reading table and I was a little inspired by that. Not many men I know love to read, but maybe, he's an exception.

    Taking a little break has never been wrong. It is the time to go back and think your past achievements and start to plan up your next move, rather than twiddling thumbs and watching some local British stand up comedies.

    I hope both of you is holding on to make babies. Enjoy the space that you have for yourself and for Piee. You won't have that once that little cutesy comes to your life.

    I miss you both. Come home, and we make a little party :)

    By the way, I did feature that Dream song in my blog, last two years. Somehow it reminded me of someone, and some of my dreams.

    Tell Piee, stay hairy, and never opt for laser *Wink*

    ReplyDelete
  2. ZA, you made me smile very early in the morning reading this.

    Young men generally don't read much. If he read a little back in uni, now he reads even more which is good, those who read are usually more sensitive ;)

    You're one of the very few sensible people I know in my life including my family when it comes to having a family. It's very true that having a little one is a huge responsibility that changes your life course, leaving just a little space for the couple which is why we don't mind taking it slow and just enjoying our time together and learning.

    Let's meet up when we get back to Malaysia next year and I'd expect some homemade meals from you tau!

    Don't worry about Piee. Staying hairy is not really that tough ;p

    ReplyDelete