Saturday 1 May 2010

Looking from the Other Side

I got three new books from the city library and all are travellers’ tales. One is an account of a middle-aged English woman going on a world trip alone with anecdotes collected from fellow mature backpackers she encountered along the way, the second book was written by a man who visited a dozen destinations most people never think of going and the third one is about a lad who tried to travel by water around the globe despite having no prior experience with boats, or anything that sail. I realized how relatively inexpensive for the Westerners to pack their bag and fly to other parts of the world. I remember holding out a fat stack of Ringgit Malaysia notes that I had carefully calculated a few times just to get four Euro notes in return from the Money Changer. I remember clearly how my heart sank.

Still, talking to other Western backpackers, I'm delighted to know how they have started to realize the world outside their wonderful bubble is far from idyllic after seeing it. Poverty, abuse, corruption and violence rule in some regions that make their hometown looks like a playground. It reminds me of when we were in Sri Lanka last year for one night. We were greeted by fierce-looking soldiers holding guns everywhere in the airport and we got stopped at several check points. It was really frightening having a bunch of armed officers opening the coach door, eyeing every inch of your body with a crooked grin. I hate to think being in that situation alone. I swear some of them looked like they should still be in school.


Europe, on the other hand, is undoubtedly well-off. Well apart from Greece right now but that’s an occasional story. Credits to their brilliant and devious history, they had a strong base to build on. Sometimes I envy these people getting all the benefits. Even the homeless and beggars receive monthly allowance. I bet some of them even have more money than I do. I wonder if that’s one of the reasons why some Malaysians never return home and change their nationality. Yet, I don’t think I could ever have the heart to do that. It’s like trading your parents. No matter how bad they could be, I will never abandon them and opt for another set of so-called perfect parents. I don’t think I could learn from perfection anyway.

I do regret not grabbing the opportunity to see some of my neighbouring, equally beautiful Asian countries when I was in Malaysia but the thought of travelling didn’t occur me that much. I was in my comfort zone and climbing the career ladder. I was startled by the tricks of the business, thought I was too soft and so I was focused on developing myself professionally. I certainly didn’t think travelling would help. I was dead wrong of course. And that’s how most Asians are though these days many are coming out of their shell to experience new, exhilarating adventures. I especially love the idea of volunteering for a certain period once in a while in poor countries like those is central Africa, India or Cambodia. The risk is there but one good thing about not being a Westerner is that the threat is less apparent and Asians blend in. An American friend once made a remark that no matter how long she tries to integrate or how comfortable she gets in an Asian country, the locals still look at her differently. And we’ve heard how dangerous it is for white people to wander in African cities. Unlike Asians, even in Europe, are building up and thank God, most of them maintain good reputation. I’m not being prejudiced but the fact is, some ethnic groups are not really welcomed here and the locals make it clear. At the end of the day, what I am sure is opening your mind and heart allows you to learn more about yourself, the world and life itself. Imagine how enriching it would be – mentally, artistically and spiritually. And I have a long way to go with so many things to learn.

2 comments:

  1. Peace is a daily, a weekly, a monthly process, gradually changing opinions, slowly eroding old barriers, quietly building new structures. And however undramatic the pursuit of peace, the pursuit must go on.
    - John F. Kennedy

    hafizsufyan@celcom.com.my

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, nice read!
    please join me in my giveaway ! :)

    ReplyDelete