Saturday 21 May 2011

Price Tag


Why do most people care so much about brands? Is it an indication of civilisation? Or a measurement of self-esteem? Or genuinely because the quality / design is way better?

The obsession has become so absurd that people post photos of themselves carrying shopping bags displaying top labels and buying things only when the brands are brightly visible for people within a 10-metre radius. I once dated this fellow who only frequented designer stores and we often hung out with his similar type of friends. I found it extremely funny that they only went to these specific stores and then complained how ridiculous the prices were like a RM70 plain white cotton t-shirt. Isn't that just plain silly? I laugh watching them but I can't help thinking that maybe I'm on the wrong side of the gate. Maybe I should care more but I just can't see it. Maybe one day I will realise what I'm missing out, but if the day never comes, I won't cry myself to sleep.

6 comments:

  1. Honey, the quality is definitely better. And the design is never ridiculous. But i dont go designers too. I just buy things that i love. Only morons go starve themselves for things like that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, there are other brands with the same quality but people don't go gaga over them. i guess the design is mostly nice. i don't really notice. but their priority is still showing off the brand of course. i like your approach of buying things that you love. it's just that i know lots of morons you mentioned personally and i just wish i can tell them how silly it is but maybe i'm not seeing something here. we're often obsessed about something so perhaps it's just not my thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ingt lg ms sy tnye izni pkai jeans yg lawa ms kt upm,brand lois rasanya.awk x mcm org kbykan org yg kalo jeans,mesti nak levis.macam wajib.hahaha.
    for me,yg penting menarik,selesa dan juga tahan lama.kalo jmpe 3 ciri tu yg branded punya apa salahnya beli if affordable.kalo jumpe kt bundle or psr mlm pn,sy akan beli jugak.hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ha'ah yea, faded jeans tu :) menarik, selesa & tahan lama... my criteria juga tu. and true, buying things that you love so kadang2 jumpa time sales kat designer stores and kadang2 jumpa kat flea market. my extra criteria is convenience. for example i personally like levi's for jeans sebab their cut suits me tapi kalau time tu tengah ramai customers and another jeans store lagi dekat like lois, i don't mind going there and get a pair if i fall in love with one.

    both of us and also zubaidah up there are just not macam those people yg akan go out of their way untuk dapat cheap but branded items simply because of the brand or those yg only beli things yg tunjuk the label, etc. it's foolish but at the same time i see them as victims and it makes me a bit sad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A Fashion statement to show they can afford to buy it.. simply for showing off purposed :D
    the funniest thing is if wanna wear branded stuff, might as well do some homework pronunciation checked first. the worst i ever heard is coco "channel" instead of chanel.. goshh

    ReplyDelete
  6. heheh, that's the worst. like one of our celebrities once pronounced vogue as 'vo-gu' and another one claimed her favourite drink was the french evian even though it's really just another mineral water.

    we already have so much pressure in life, and now we have to make a fashion statement too? oh my, that must be so exhausting. but well, i suppose we have our own weak points :)

    ReplyDelete