Saturday 28 May 2011

Time and Tide Wait for No Man

A rainy day puts a bright smile on my face. It would be more wonderful if there were thunder and lightning but thunderstorm is rare here. I used to be afraid of the thunder when I was a child. It sounded like a monster on its way to get me and it always gave me a jolt. Then my parents taught me that thunder and lightning happen at the same time but as light travels faster than sound, people see the lightning flash before they hear the thunder. So I started counting to three whenever I saw a lightning because that was how long it usually took before I could hear the roaring thunder. Even as an adult, sometimes I find myself counting when a thunderstorm hits because it calms me. Listening to the wind and trees brushing against each other only makes it better. It's like a lullaby. Too bad I'm often at work when that happens.

Hubs and I haven't travelled in a while since I started my job. Now I remember what it was like when we were both working and the weekends were spent at our parents'. I also remember my peers making a fuss over some bonus. I remember thinking that I would leave my job if someday I found myself working with only money as my motivation. It's probably a naive thought but I want to hold on to it as long as I could. I already miss the past one and a half years when I didn't have to leave the house most mornings and we travelled to almost 20 countries. The strangers we encountered and the little anecdotes when we least expected them. I suppose that's why I'm writing the book. I want to immortalise the memories I have floating in my mind before new ones slowly bury them as I age because they are simply priceless. 

Life really is a cycle, like those pollens. I miss the present. I always did and I always will.

No comments:

Post a Comment