Friday 17 June 2011

Unburied Treasure

I got myself four new books to cherish. Okay, borrowed from the city library and due in a month, more like. One of them is for the husband:


He’s obsessed with The Beatles. He also thinks John Lennon looks like Ayah when they were young. I told Ayah and he laughed, it has to be a compliment right?

The main reason why I started to borrow real books again instead of the e-book version, I work all day staring at the laptop and I come home to more staring at the laptop until I hit the sack. Imagine the level of strain I’m putting on my eyes and I just turned 26 only a few days ago which by the way, hubs had a couple of surprises. The point is I still have dozens of years of eye strain, God willing (the longevity part, definitely not the latter). I also waste at least 20 minutes a day waiting for the bus. Well, 40 minutes if the ride itself is taken into account but since I can’t get through a page on a moving vehicle without a massive headache, I prefer talking to myself.

I checked out this book by Allison Pearson for myself.


I have a soft spot for career women juggling so many balls, no surprise there. I’ve recently finished Marian Keyes’s Sushi for Beginners, courtesy of Bri who had to leave behind one of her books since she had packed too many new clothes.

Of course once in a while I just have to get a disturbing book that leaves me high and dry thinking of the what ifs. I don’t really know why. I guess it’s the curiosity. This time I picked Perfect Soldiers by Terry McDermott, a reporter who covered the 9/11 tragedy.


I sort of cheated because I initially got Philipe Kerr's Hitler's Peace but it was too dull for me so I returned it after a few pages.

Finally, I’m reading a book that I can absolutely identify with: Reif Larsen's The Selected Works of T. S. Spivet. It tells of adventures of a boy who loves to draw and map his observation. One extraordinary thing about this book is that it has illustrations so to fathom the content is like going through a puzzle. Your eyes are always moving around instead of going down and down then up and down and down again for hundreds of pages.


The forecast calls for rain over the weekend so it’s just the perfect setting to bury myself in the limitless imagination.

No comments:

Post a Comment