Tuesday 16 February 2010

Home Sweet Home

Home by Michael Buble.

Not that I'm trying to beat myself up with that song, but recently I've been having second thoughts about staying here for the summer. Well, you can count on winter to make someone depressed eh. My professors explicitly advised me to go for a summer internship. This is only for two years, they said. True, two years come and go quickly but I'd miss so much. I'd miss my dad's thinning hair (who knows, they all might be gone by the time I graduate next year!), my mom's inventive cooking, my bro's bragging, my sis growing up and my baby Sarah getting plump big. I'm definitely going to miss two big weddings this March (Aida's who so kindly mailed her wedding card so I wouldn't feel left out and my brother-in-law's) and Mus's engagement. I miss my friends back home. They've known me since I was a kid (okay, a little exaggeration for dramatic effect). I was looking through my photo albums yesterday and let me tell you something obvious, do not browse old photographs while you're trying to convince yourself that they can help you with the homesickness 10,000 km away from the people and places you're yearning for (NOT an exaggeration). Stupid little idea, I ended up crying. Yes, I appreciate how significant a right internship is for my resume. On the other hand, the instinct feels so strong and I don't think it's just about the weather! We all know that sometimes we have to listen to that little voice in your heart instead of that sensible mind. So will I be on the plane flying back to Kuala Lumpur this June (just in time for my birthday, I'm just saying) or will I be staying somewhere in Europe working and traveling? We shall find out very soon (well honestly the flight tickets are not getting cheaper!).

Elbert Hubbard of the Roycrofters

2 comments:

  1. Stay there and get some dirt on your boots. It is really not worth it to go home when everything that happens to you right now is going to end up in flash.

    So stay, get your cv refurbished with some real engineering works. It is really worth a cry.

    ReplyDelete