Sunday 7 February 2010

One Life, One Shot

Two weeks into my first month here in England and I haven't toured nor studied much. First, to be out and about in this weather isn't really that fun. Imagine you’re a character from “Honey, I Shrunk the Kids” and by a twist you're trapped in the freezer you have there in the kitchen. Brr~ Second, our critical modules only get into gear next week so I didn't feel the need to study just for the sake of studying something. Having said that, I sort of sneaked around the library for some reading (mainly for leisure...I did tell you that I genuinely have fun reading) and saw some of my classmates doing revision! A little intimidated, but it was not exactly the shock of my life. This group of 20-something students consists of supposedly bright and all-rounded people coming from all parts of the world who are supposedly interested in hydro-informatics and water management and they are finally gathered here in Newcastle for only this one semester. Supposedly as over time, things change. Some of these people are strong headed by the same token so when you put them in one room, you can sense the invisible rivalry and strain. Some pretense too but I'll leave it at that. I'll just carefully choose my battle and mind my own business. There are many things that are not worth spending time, energy and attention on.
g.o.j.i w.o.r.l.d w.i.d.e h.e.a.l.t.h

What I have actually been thinking about more these days is the prospect of being a professor. We all know how flexible they are. Some may choose to remain flaccid in their exclusive office reading and writing while others may opt for more dynamic on the field (and that includes travelling!) and external consultancy work, etc. Of course, one needs to accomplish a PhD in prior so that means another 3 years of waking up late flexibility. So I'm thinking big. Like maybe Oxford?


Or perhaps, a change of environment and go for Ivy League in the States?

Okay, I am well aware of  how incredibly arduous it is. I will definitely apply for somewhere else as well like the equally prominent McGill in Quebec (the only setback is that Canada is always cold, aiyaya). Still, dreams are the beginning of everything great and I'm not exactly asking for the moon. Someone once told me, "There is only a small chance of getting it? Why, there is still a possibility!". The admission deadline is by end of this year for October 2011 intake so that leaves me roughly 10 months to cram and get excellent results both in my studies and one of the most loathed tests, GRE (Graduate Record Examination), obtain admirable recommendations, buff up my resume, write an impressive statement of purpose and of course, an outstanding research proposal. Fuh, that's doable. I can do that. Yes Izni, law of attraction.


Hmm, wonder if I could pull this off without ending up like this poor thing.

k.f.6.n.v.r                                                             r.e.b.e.l t.r.a.d.e.r.s

Well, good thing that apart from cupcakes and Indian foods, I believe in moderation.

So everyone, tomorrow is a new day and let's walk with your head up, be sure of who you are, what you do and what you want. One reader told me something that I'm glad being reminded of - You just live your life with no excuses, love with no regrets and have a great time...our life today is not a dress rehearsal, we only get to play one round. 

In short, have faith and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. InsyaAllah (God willing).

6 comments:

  1. Babe, go to US...:-)..get a new experience there...

    But if u choose oxford or cambridge, it's great too...we can meet often over the next 2 or 3 years...hehe..:-)...

    ReplyDelete
  2. zubaidah: specifically princeton? kenapa?

    k.leya: they're all elite universities and admission pon susah. kalau la boleh pilih cam pilih buku kat amazon.com and terus dapat within a few days. but never say never! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes...never say never!!..rezeki setiap manusia takde siapa yg tahu melainkan Allah S.W.T. saje...:-)...

    and buat tak reti dgn ckp2 org...teruskan perjalanan hidup...sbb yg nak laluinye kite sendiri jugak...:-)...

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'd say, if you want to do engineering, then go to princeton or caltech or mit or berkeley. their engineering programs are good. if you want to pursue life sciences, or meds, then maybe oxford is the best choice.

    a friend of mine is going for master in petroleum at imperial. then you may want to consider that as well. he graduated from purdue. purdue pun a great place to pursue engineering.

    my take is, check THES latest ranking under engineering and technology. those unis i mentioned never passed above #30 rankings.

    cornell is one of the best choices too. ivy unis tend to slant their engineering to industry, and most of the students will end up in business. cornell absolutely converges to research.

    umich/uillinois/berkely/mit/stanford are top 5 for civil engineering and environmental i think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. really impressive cik zubaidah ;)

    ReplyDelete