Sunday 9 May 2010

Being able to Choose

My little sis got admission to the engineering pre-u program in the reputable UIA but two days ago she decided to go for matriculation in Malacca instead. It wasn't an easy decision. I, too, had the option of playing safe. I would have steady income coming in every month and a fixed career path, being bonded for years. It wouldn't hurt knowing where you're going to be for the next 10 years right? Why would someone want to explore the scary unknown when a secured destination with everything familiar awaits them? I didn't sign the bond and for a while there I wondered if I was being too ambitious and stupid in some way. But then, how would I know if I didn't take that step? How would I know how far I could go if some other people made that choice for me? Above all, one cannot put a price on freedom. My little sis was obviously at that kind of crossroads and she made her choice. I was telling her to go for UIA because it's an academically stronger option. Right now she thinks she wants to do electrical engineering and so it's even better because it's certain that her degree after the one-year pre-u would be exactly that and in the same university. It's naturally a safe choice. Two days before the matriculation registration, she made up her mind. She wants to be able to choose afterwards. She wants to have options to explore. Well I guess she's not so little anymore.


Sis, I'm so proud of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment