Wednesday 19 May 2010

The Lost Symbol

One intensive week of computational hydraulics with lectures and assignments due in two hours almost every day. A written examination in two weeks (plus two other papers). A massive coursework to be submitted in less than a week after. And what have I been doing for the last two days? Well I studied a little in the first half but later on I just hopped into my comfy bed, buried myself in the fluffy cover and pillows, and got sucked into Dan Brown's world with The Lost Symbol. LOVED it! I couldn't think of a better plot. It's simply a kaleidoscope of emotions. And with all the numbers jumbled up in an assortment of technical applications I have to extra crunch this couple of weeks, I can't help but feel that symbologism is waaaaay more exciting.

But unless you're Tom Hanks, I don't think cryptographers get a fat pay cheque these days.

 
Alright, 12.45am. Let's call it a night and rise early for a new day of variables and derivations. Sigh.

4 comments:

  1. When The Da Vinci Code was almost every day chitchat a few years ago, I couldn't help to buy one.

    Read it.

    Cliche. Did not like his style. I guess I was being too demanding

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only read Da Vinci Code last year and just because I was going to Paris so saje ambil mood la kononnya. But I liked it, maybe because I'm easily intrigued by conspiracy theories. But The Lost Symbol was even better, I couldn't put it down and there were so many surprises that when you think you can't be surprised anymore there goes another mind-blowing twist. But I read the reviews, some people find Dan Brown's writing a little too dramatic. I guess to each his own :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if you favor indian writers like arundhati roy, vikram chandra, jhumpa lahiri and aravind adiga.

    I love indian writers. I find their stories are compelling, true to the heart. And the best thing about them, they make us left in questions and wander in the storylines.

    I strongly suggest you to read Mark Haddon's A Spot Of Bother. An english friend of mine found it boring, but for me that's one of the best books i've ever read. It is like watching American Beauty, except this is a novel, and it is not about American family. Totally love it

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do! I've only read a few but I especially loved Aravind Adiga's The White Tiger. And actually I find non-westerner authors are refreshing. There's something real about their stories and how they tell them. The Afghan Khaled Hosseini's A Thousand Splendid Suns was quite popular and I shed some tears reading it. Anything else you would recommend?

    ReplyDelete